Barry Hawkins cruised into the third round of the British Open with a comfortable win over Kyren Wilson.
It was revenge for Hawkins after his heavy 9-3 loss to Wilson in the final of the 2022 European Masters in August, their last meeting on tour.
Hawkins was always in control on Tuesday night, striding ahead in frame one with a break of 72.
‘We’re going to play every single event in Germany after this’ – Wilson claims European Masters
21/08/2022 AT 16:21
Indeed Hawkins made a 50+ break in each and every frame as his imperious form overpowered Wilson, and in the second he compiled a 120 visit which took him to a 2-0 lead.
Wilson hit back in the next to bring it back to 2-1, but Hawkins got back to the table thereafter, knocking in a 78 break to extend his lead back to two frames.
And with just one frame required for the victory, he rounded things off with a stunning 134 in front of the Marshall Arena crowd.
Wilson could be left to reflect on a match where he didn’t do a lot wrong, but he just didn’t get enough table time to douse the on-fire Hawkins, who – on this form – looks a good bet to go far in the tournament.
From here, Hawkins goes on to face Steven Hallworth or Hammad Miah in the next round.
Aside from that tie, the third round has thrown up a number of other intriguing match-ups, such as Mark Selby v Cao Yupeng and Zhao Xintong v Noppon Saengkham or Fraser Patrick.
FULL THIRD ROUND DRAW
- Ding Junhui or Joe Perry v Robbie Williams
- Zhao Jianbo or Ian Burns v Yuan Sijun
- Ben Woollaston or Mark Williams v Jak Jones
- Barry Hawkins v Steven Hallworth or Hammad Miah
- Andy Lee or Yan Bingtao v Jordan Brown
- Anthony Hamilton or Jamie Clarke v Alexander Ursenbacher or Joe O’Connor
- Gary Wilson or Zhang Anda v Li Hang or Mark Allen
- David Grace or Xu Si v Dean Young or Judd Trump
- Jamie Jones or Elliot Slessor v Chang Bingyu
- Graeme Dott v Xiao Guodong
- Craig Steadman v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh or Matthew Stevens
- Mark Selby v Cao Yupeng
- Chen Zifan or Ross Muir v Lyu Hoatian
- Lu Ning v Jack Lisowski or Mitchell Mann
- Tian Pengfei or Jimmy Robertson v Gerard Greene or Ryan Day
- Zhao Xintong v Noppon Saengkham or Fraser Patrick
‘Stuff of dreams!’ – Page wins with a 135 century against Hawkins
17/04/2022 AT 21:35
Players Championship 2022 as it happened: Robertson hits four centuries to overcome Hawkins in final
13/02/2022 AT 10:57
Read the full article here