Presidential hopeful Robert F. Kennedy Jr. submitted a third request for Secret Service protection from the Biden administration on Wednesday after an intruder was arrested twice in one day trespassing on his Los Angeles property.
“Yesterday an intruder climbed the fence at my home and was arrested,” the independent presidential candidate tweeted Thursday. “After being released from police custody later in the day, he immediately returned to my home and was arrested again.”
The Los Angeles Police Department identified the alleged trespasser as 28-year-old Jonathan Macht of Pacific Palisades, Calif.
Macht was arrested on suspicion of trespassing and issued an emergency protective order Wednesday morning, according to LAPD, and was arrested again later in the day for violating the protective order after Kennedy Jr.’s security team detained him outside the presidential candidates home.
A statement from RFK Jr’s campaign explains that Macht “asked to see the candidate” and that Kennedy Jr., “was home at the time of both arrests.”
The candidate’s father – former New York Sen. Robert F. Kennedy – and uncle – former President John F. Kennedy – were both assassinated while in office.
Gavin de Becker & Associates, the private security firm employed by Kennedy Jr., has informed the Secret Service about “this specific obsessed individual several times in recent months and shared alarming communications he has sent to the candidate,” according to RFK Jr.’s campaign.
“Over the last several months, the campaign submitted formal requests for Secret Service protection, yet U.S. Department of Homeland Security Sec. Alejandro Mayorkas has refused to approve the protection,” the Kennedy Jr. campaign said in a statement.
“Every presidential administration for 55 years has afforded early protection to candidates who requested it. The Biden administration is the sole outlier,” the campaign claims.
The campaign described Macht as having an “obsession” with RFK Jr. that leads him to be “at times hostile and angry.”
“Secret Service is aware that he has sent hundreds of emails to the candidate, and believes he is being followed by people who intend to kill him,” Kennedy Jr’s third formal request to Mayorkas states.
“Given all that is known, please reconsider your decision to refuse Secret Service protection to presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr, and allow protection to commence as soon as possible,” the request continues. “As the law intends, the Secret Service can help protect the candidate and the electoral process, while also reducing risk to others in the candidate’s environment, including members of the general public.”
Wednesday’s incident follows the arrest of an armed man impersonating a US marshal at a Kennedy Jr. campaign event in California last month.
The man, Adrian Paul Aispuro, 44, claimed to be part of RFK Jr.’s security detail and was carrying pistols,extra ammunition and a US. Marshal badge when he was quickly arrested, authorities said.
Kennedy Jr. had been challenging President Biden for the 2024 Democratic presidential nomination before changing his party affiliation earlier this month to run for the White House as an independent candidate.
Read the full article here